Natural Decking and Furniture Oils: Benefits for Health, Air Quality, and Applications
When it comes to maintaining the beauty and longevity of outdoor wooden surfaces, such as decks and furniture, natural decking and furniture oils are becoming increasingly popular. Not only do these oils provide an excellent finish, but they also offer numerous health and environmental benefits. In this article, we will explore why natural decking and furniture oils are a superior choice, their various applications, and the advantages they provide in terms of health and air quality.
What are Natural Decking and Furniture Oils?
Natural decking and furniture oils are wood finishes derived from plant-based oils, such as linseed, tung, or sunflower oils. They are designed to penetrate and nourish the wood, providing protection from weathering, UV damage, and moisture. Unlike conventional wood treatments that contain harmful chemicals, natural oils are free of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and other toxic substances, making them a healthier and more eco-friendly option.
Health and Air Quality Benefits
There are several health and air quality benefits associated with using natural decking and furniture oils, including:
- Low VOC emissions: Conventional wood treatments often release high levels of VOCs, which can cause respiratory issues, headaches, and other health problems. Natural oils, on the other hand, have low or no VOC content, reducing the risk of indoor air pollution and associated health issues.
- Non-toxic ingredients: Natural oils are made from plant-based ingredients, free of harmful chemicals, and biodegradable. This means they are safe for both humans and the environment, making them an ideal choice for families with children, pets, or individuals with chemical sensitivities.
- Better indoor air quality: By using natural oils on outdoor furniture, you can prevent the off-gassing of harmful chemicals when the furniture is brought indoors or used in enclosed spaces.
Applications and Usage
Natural decking and furniture oils are versatile and can be used for various applications, such as:
- Decking: Natural oils offer excellent protection for wooden decks, shielding them from the effects of weather, UV rays, and moisture. The penetrating nature of the oils also helps to prevent cracking, warping, and splitting of the wood over time.
- Outdoor furniture: Natural oils can be used on wooden outdoor furniture, such as chairs, tables, and benches, to preserve their appearance and prolong their lifespan.
- Wooden play equipment: As natural oils are safe and non-toxic, they can be used on children's play equipment, such as playhouses, swings, and climbing frames, without worrying about harmful chemicals affecting their health.
- Fences and other wooden structures: Natural oils can also be applied to fences, pergolas, and other wooden structures in your outdoor space for protection and enhanced appearance.
To apply natural decking and furniture oils, follow these steps:
- Clean the surface: Remove any dirt, dust, and debris from the wood using a brush or pressure washer.
- Sand the wood if required: Lightly sand the surface to ensure proper absorption of the oil.
- Apply the oil: Follow instructions as per your chosen product. Generally you would use a brush, roller, or cloth to apply a thin, even coat of oil. Allow the oil to penetrate the wood for the recommended time before wiping off any excess.
- Reapply as needed: Depending on the product and environmental conditions, reapply the oil every few years maintain the protective finish.
Natural decking and furniture oils offer a healthier and more environmentally friendly alternative to conventional wood treatments. Their low VOC content, non-toxic nature, and ability to improve air quality make them an excellent choice for maintaining the beauty and longevity of your outdoor wooden surfaces.